In recent months I have been thinking a lot about generosity. In February, I decided that I would try and practice generosity daily. I also wrote a few blog posts about it, because ultimately generosity is something that really matters to me. You can find those posts here and here. I have benefited incredibly from the generosity of others, so I know the difference that it can make in all areas of life.
As I have begun to truly live within the world of generosity, here are 10 insights that I have discovered. Understanding each of these things will help you to live, laugh and earn in the very best ways possible.
1. Generosity is always about the other person – not you. Give for the sake of giving.
2. Once you practise generosity for a while, it truly becomes part of who you are. (For me, I now consider generosity to be one of the core values for both my life and my business.)
3. Giving is always far more meaningful than receiving.
4. The more you look for ways to give to others, the better your life becomes – in more ways than you can imagine.
5. Letting go of what you want actually helps you. By focusing on helping another person be the best they can be, magical things can happen. For you and for them.
6. Being generous is contagious – which means others around you will also begin to model your actions. That is a win-win.
7. Practising generosity builds your confidence.
8. Being generous doesn’t mean saying yes to everyone. It means, giving when it is the right moment. You will know when that is.
9. Generosity helps you smile. Smiling makes your world a happier place. When you are happier you are better at everything in your life.
10. Generosity just feels good – in such a simple but amazing way.
So, how do you practise generosity in your life? Why do you think it matters?