As an Early Childhood Educator who uses social media tools to build community, I’m always thinking about kindness and sharing. It’s just who I am.
Exactly two years ago today, I began to practice generosity on a daily basis. I let it influence everything in my life.
Shortly after making that choice, I shared some insights on the experience. Two years later, I think there is still value in these thoughts. Perhaps you will find them helpful. I encourage you to practice generosity daily. It can make all the difference in your life.
As I have begun to truly live within the world of generosity, here are 10 insights that I have discovered.
1. Generosity is always about the other person – not you. Give for the sake of giving.
2. Once you practise generosity for a while, it truly becomes part of who you are. (For me, I now consider generosity to be one of the core values for both my life and my business.)
3. Giving is always far more meaningful than receiving.
4. The more you look for ways to give to others, the better your life becomes – in more ways than you can imagine.
5. Letting go of what you want actually helps you. By focusing on helping another person be the best they can be, magical things can happen. For you and for them.
6. Being generous is contagious – which means others around you will also begin to model your actions. That is a win-win.
7. Practising generosity builds your confidence.
8. Being generous doesn’t mean saying yes to everyone. It means, giving when it is the right moment. You will know when that is.
9. Generosity helps you smile. Smiling makes your world a happier place. When you are happier you are better at everything in your life.
10. Generosity just feels good – in such a simple but amazing way.
Two years later, I can honestly tell you that by practising generosity – virtually everything in my world has changed. I choose to live, laugh and earn with generosity – every single day.
— Paul O’Mahony (Cork) (@Omaniblog) March 28, 2012